Harvest

In addition to the farmers being out harvesting their crops it is time again to pick the crab apples off the tree. The past few years we have been able to leave them until we return from holiday but the long Spring and Summer seem to have caused them to ripen early and I did not want to risk loosing the fruit. So yesterday I cut 12 lbs of apples from our lovely, small John Downie.

The apples are currently stewed and draining in the kitchen and the smell is wonderful.


I am making Crab Apple Jelly this year although on the suggestion of my Mum will be trying Crab Apple Wine next year which sounds lovely. I have found a couple of recipes for it here and here.

I have not made either Crab Apple Jelly or Wine before although from the looks of it the wine will be more of a challenge but I look forward to having a go and enjoying the results the year after.

Comments

  1. Crab apple wine definitely gets the vote from me! Our orchard at work is full this year so I've been picking loads of apples to make pies/crumble/sauce etc and will freeze a load to use later in the year. It also means there'll be loads of windfall apples too - ideal for apple wine or cider or how about mulled cider for Christmas? Will crab apples produce the same sort of flavour I wonder?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh reading that has made my mouth water! I have to say the smell of the crab apples when they were cooked made me think of apple sauce! The recipe I found for crab apple wine said to use honey during the racking stage and to keep using it for a sweeter wine but I think the smell and flavour would suit a dryer wine and even a champagne. Its very addictive this home made produce thing isn't it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment!

Popular posts from this blog

Camera Critters #4 - Buzzard

Treasure