Rituals, Routines & Resolutions

I do not usually make New Years Resolutions. I think they are sometimes made out of guilt and also I believe that if you want to make a new life rule for yourself then there's no time like the present and it need not always wait until this time of year. This year however, I feel some change is required.

I have spent a lot of time over the past year or so trying to fine tune my life so that I can be a good and considerate person to friends, family and loved ones, while satisfying my own personal and professional needs. Good luck I hear you say!!!

Anyway, my working life has been a little out of hand this year for one reason or another. I have found that making task lists has greatly improved my efficiency and is teaching me to be a little more realistic about what I can achieve in the hours available.

I have been considering a similar approach to my home life in addition to the usual diary's and reminders that people have. Up until now I have resisted as I am a somewhat spontaneous person...well I used to be, and didn't want to structure myself completely.

I would also like to create a little me moment in every day where I strive for peace of mind and contentment. A moment when I make my head stop organising my home life and work life, and just breath in and out.

So I have decided to schedule some of my weekly time and create some routines and rituals for myself, outside of the usual daily chores and activities, and make a resolution or two.

Firstly Rituals:

There are lots of parts of the day that are just for me. All of my dog walks are blissful moments of joy, running with dogs and being outside. I do not like being inside. I like some of the comforts that are there but could loose all of them for an outdoor existence, and being in the company of dogs is always fun and rewarding.

Anytime I spend alone in my car is treasured. I have Radio 2 to keep me company and if all else fails, lots of Porcupine Tree to fall back on, and its me on the road. I love the feeling of going somewhere.

I can also of course spend time in another room of our house doing one of many activities if I want to, but the target I have set myself involves this, see picture below.

I bought myself this teapot earlier in the year. I love looking at it. The other side of the world is on the other side of the pot.

For my new ritual I am going to make myself a cup of tea in this teapot every morning and stand in the kitchen, drinking it and looking at the world on my pot. It will have to be a post dog walk activity as there's no peace until they have had a run! I will also have to get up 15 minutes earlier but I am an early riser now and it will be lovely to take the time.

So, that's new my ritual.

Now for routine. For a long time I have felt like a bit of a 'Jack of all Trades' and 'Master of None'. There are so many things that I like to do and am ok at but I am a little lazy and also a little greedy. I wanted to do them all and did not give the time to any one area to develop it properly.

One hobby has come to the forefront as the one I can't put down. I am not saying by any means that I am a master of it but it's the hot favourite in the battle for a slice of my free time.

I have developed a love of photography in conjunction my my love of art over the past couple of years. I like image distortion and also plan to incorporate some painting...its a work in progress!

So a personal routine for weekly evenings of photography theory and practical is starting next week. I have a brilliant new macro photography book and a subscription to a photography magazine that were both Christmas gifts.

I will probably do some reading this week but I am going to allocate evenings.

My fella plays guitar with a friend every Monday. Because they have a regular slot they do it and love it. If you leave it to the week at hand there are always so many other things that can get in the way! Making a date is key.

I also have a professional goal to achieve. Like it or not I am going to have to do the Professional Diploma! It's great to study but just so much harder when you are not a full time student!!

And my boss has indicated that he would like me to put myself forward for chartership with the ICF. That would be an interview assessment in August 2009, and of course some preliminary's before hand.

I have yet to commit to an exam year for the Prof. Dip.........however serious study will require at least three evenings a week.

So that just leaves resolutions. Well I have a couple but they are not to be discussed here! It feels good to have them though. They are more like statements that I want to live by. There are so many proverbs that can reach and motivate us. You just have to come across them at the right time, when you are receptive to the idea.

I am looking forward to the year ahead and yearning for Spring. The days are getting longer and the birds are at their business. I expect it will be a strange and hard year for many but I am starting it with my head held high, a big grin and a prayer for all for a good year. Happy 2009!

Comments

  1. You have identified what you wish to accomplish and being true to yourself is your motto.
    I know you will manage all that you have set your mind to do.
    Need any support just say the word.
    Happy 2009.
    Thanks for your visit and comments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ladybanana, Happy New Year to you! I wish you all the best for 2009!

    Hey Bowledover! Thank you or your kind words and offer. If all goes to plan it should be a very exciting year! Happy 2009!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment!

Popular posts from this blog

Camera Critters #4 - Buzzard

Treasure