January, February, I don't understand....

Blimey! It's mid February already! It always amazes me how quickly the beginning of the year goes although I do feel like I have achieved a lot this year which is good. I also turned 38! Its nice to be back in even numbers, I prefer them to odd ones for some unknown reason.

The picture opposite is one of my birthday gifts from my Mum and Dad. This beautiful mirror now takes pride of place in our living room.

There are a couple of lovely ladies who work in our local garage in the mornings. I often fill up there are we have quick chat and a laugh.

Well I was talking to one of them before Christmas and she told me that for her 18th birthday she was asked by her family what she wanted and she said a gilt frame mirror for her house.

They bought her one and she has always had it in her living room. She then told me that she treasured it so because in the years that have passed since she was given it everyone she loved in her life has looked in it to straighten their hair, or hat or just check their final appearance before leaving the house. Her grandparents, parents, aunts and uncles, and finally husband and son have looked in that mirror and she treasures it because it holds a small piece of all of them, and some of them are no longer in her life.

I thought it was such a beautiful story, actually it made me fill up a bit! (I know that's a hideous pun for a filling station story!)

At the time it made me thought of a lace table cloth my paternal Grandmother had that she left to me. She had it for years, it was always out on the side table in the living room and whenever someone special to the family or within the family came to visit, or whenever a new family member was born she got them to sign the cloth or wrote their names on for them and then embroidered over it.

I got it out the other day and read all of the names. It is a similar treasure to me and has the names of so many people I love on it.

When I got this mirror it reminded me of the lady at the garage and my cloth. I will treasure this mirror in the same way.

Comments

  1. Happy Birthday, Dancin' Lady! You are such a youngster ;o)
    The sun is shining today and that makes it so wonderful. Thanks for stopping by!
    Your photo of your mirror is lovely and the story you wrote with it made me cry a teeny, too. There is a round mirror in our living rm (this being the house my father built in 1948 ... and the mirror was always here) and I'd never thought of it like that before, but it is so true. It also reminds me of a porthole and reflects the big picture window and the huge black walnut outside and goes on and on in reflection. I've thought of moving it to a different place on the wall but it is best where it is, facing due south, and all the sun goes by there. Often when I catch a glimpse of myself in it, I see my mother, more and more. It's comforting.
    You are officially 20 yrs younger than me now! I have missed you in your blog, but I understand when there's "life" going on, too ;oD.
    Sending loving blessings to you, you who are no Dancin' Fool!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi dancin' the mirror looks very good where you have set it.We are happy that you are enjoying it.
    We were given one by my father, over 40 years ago now.
    Its a lovely thought to reflect on the family and friends who have looked into it, as much as thinking about the giver.
    Be well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you did have a great birthday.. this is a loverly post and I think the story of the mirror was very touching...
    I was well pleased to see your name popping up in my comments.. I'm hoping to tempt you back again with a tree picture my mate as sent me from Goa..
    All the very best... BTW 38 is such a young age...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous5:19 pm

    It always was the ideal position, especially so when underlit. So glad you liked it. HYMBO.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9:07 pm

    Hello you,
    Oooooh I am so sorry I missed your birthday again.
    You know how crap I am at that sort of thing and of course you know I love you forever! you are truly one of the kindest, nicest, and coolest people it has been my pleasure to know, you are a treasure!!........there, does that make amends!!! and I do mean it!
    38 my goodness that makes me feel so old, I always think of you as 21 or whatever you were when we met in Porto Heli. Seems so long ago, but then every time I see you it seems everything is the same! it's good to know some things never change.
    So sorry I missed you the other day but thanks for your message. I am still planning on driving up real soon, looking forward to seeing Mr dancin fool and the pups again. Tell him he is not going to get away with doing his gig without us being there...ha ha!!
    Actually not sure who us is....but me at least!
    Anyway hope you are well my love
    Take care
    T-bone

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi dancin' just thought I would make you wonder even more 'where has the time gone to'
    It will be March next Monday, in like a lion and out like a lamb.
    Busy time for you then, inspecting sites for wind damage. We will look out for March Hares.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Kyle, you always leave me the most lovely messages! Your mirror sounds lovely. They are great for bringing light into a room or creating that illusion of another space behind the glass. I once lived in a house where there was a large mirror on the fence in the garden which had ivy growing around its edge and a wooden frame an the bottom, it reflected the plants and trees on the other side of the garden but because of how it was set when you looked at it it seemed to be showing you a glimpse of another garden beyond! Happy Saturday to you bud, biggest love. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Bowledover, is that the frame oval mirror in the living room? It has certainly witnessed most of my interesting teenage haircuts as I checked myself before I went to school! It did well not to giggle!!

    I hope you see some March Hares! I do love to see them, we do occasionally round here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Tom! I am on route to come and see this tree! Thanks for your visit and your comment. You can't beat being told you are young!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. HWMBO, I agree, it looks lovely there, and we use it to check ourselves before we leave in the morning! You both have excellent taste. xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey T-Bone! No worries bud, we don't really do birthdays do we, actually none of my friends do really but you are there when it counts. And of course how could I mind after your lovely words!! Flatterer!!!

    Sorry we didn't get to speak too the other day. We have a few busy weekends coming up in March but are generally here. We are away for all of the 6th/ 7th March but after that each weekend is free accept Mr Dancin is rehearsing on the Saturday down the pub in preparation for the fast approaching gig. How are preparations coming for the Tonk reunion?

    I'll catch up with you next week bud but for now happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment!

Popular posts from this blog

Camera Critters #4 - Buzzard

Treasure