Wigmore Castle

The highlight of my week occurred on Tuesday when I found myself in the region of Wigmore Castle in the Welsh Marches, once home to Roger Mortimer, 1st Earl of March (1287 - 1330). I have wanted to go here since reading Ian Mortimers book about Roger, The Greatest Traitor. 

Roger was an amazing man, warrior, and leader of men however he is probably most remembered for his part in the forced abdication of Edward II and alleged involvement in the murder of the former King, a topic I won't debate here. 

To me however he was a true historical hero. Unfortunately in the end absolute power corrupted absolutely and I believe he lost sight of his initial goal, which for years was to preserve the interests of the Country, but I am proud to know his story and so happy to finally have visited his home. I had the place to myself for the duration of my visit and I found Wigmore to be powerful and peaceful.

















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Camera Critters #4 - Buzzard

Treasure