Canterbury Cathedral


I have wanted to go to Canterbury Cathedral for years; not only is it an amazing structure, and significant in history for so many reasons not least of all the murder of Thomas Becket, but it is the final resting place of Prince Edward (The Black Prince) and King Henry IV (Henry of Bolingbroke).

Visiting their tombs was a very moving experience. There was no one else there for a few moments so I got take my time and really take in the atmosphere. I found myself wondering, if ghosts exist or their souls still linger there, whether they argue.

The Black Prince is Henry's Uncle, and Henry had The Black Prince's son murdered, well he starved him to death. The Black Prince was dead by this time however that's a pretty big act to forgive.

Henry is buried next to his wife Joan of Navarre; during my visit someone had left a single red rose on top of their tomb, clasped in Henry's stone hand.

Comments

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment!

Popular posts from this blog

Camera Critters #4 - Buzzard

Treasure