Calling On An Old Friend

January 2011 has brought some interesting challenges for me. I am job hunting from the position of being unemployed which is always naff, and have found myself outside of my comfort zone in a few other areas. Yesterday I had a really bad day of it. One of those days where you feel like a child again and fear takes control.

It is a horrible feeling. I have tried to describe it in words and its not easy. I have memories of feeling like that as a child, most strongly when I had to stay in hospital for a few days. I felt terrified and completely vulnerable, and cried uncontrollably!

Anyway yesterday felt a bit like that, and although during the day I had lovely conversations with my family who as always brought cheer to my heart I decided it was time again to call upon my old friend and enforce some strength.

I have posted about this before and have looked out the old post to remember how I expressed it.

I am a huge Buffy the Vampire Slayer fan and am not ashamed to admit it; if you are a fan of the super hero it's nothing short of awesome! One girl in all the world with the strength and skill to fight the demons, she alone will stand against them, well she and her pals, and her always attractive male interests. (For the record not Riley.......just too darn wholesome!)

It’s not actually just her who is helping, I have always loved super heroes: Zorro (The original and The Gay Blade!), the Fonz (Ok super hero may not apply but he was cool and wise), Captain Picard Star Trek The Next Generation and equally Commander Data, Buzz Lightyear, Hong Kong Phooey, The Scarlet Pimpernel, Spiderman, the key factor is that the lead character has the kind of integrity that can only exist in fiction; they are strong, selfless, logical, disciplined and always right. The tougher they are, the more I like them!

At times in my life when things get on top of me and I feel weak I make myself the hero figure. It means I have to go on whether I like it or not. There is no questioning whether I can be strong enough, I have to be and that’s all there is to it. There are no other options.

I strive to attain the hero characters excellence. If such integrity can be conceived of it can be lived as a code of conduct, I do not believe it is possible to achieve it as reliably as the super heroes do, however it is a worthwhile model I enjoy testing myself against as I explore my own standards and deal with the tough times.

Image Credit: BBC Cult Buffy Gallery

I know its only a temporary thing; life is constantly challenging in all sorts of ways and we can't possibly cope with it well all the time. Accepting this and allowing yourself a bad day every once in a while is important however I still find huge mental strength from adopting the Buffy attitude. If I could only adopt her figure and wardrobe too!

Comments

  1. I think that's a pretty healthy attitude to take at those times. Why don't you name your hero persona - give yourself a hero personality? Although I would suggest you don't wear your undies on the outside of your jeans out in public and remember to remove the towel 'cape' tied around your neck too!! We don't want to frighten the general public do we!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:01 pm

    Hey Dancin I know you will be fine and things will work out for you.
    Mate there isn't a soul alive who hasn't felt like a frightened child at some point or other, none of us like to be pushed out of our comfort zone, at least I hope that's true or else it's just me and you haha!!!
    Anyway I think your super hero should be called Johnny the big brave boy!!!

    big love to you

    T-bone xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Sensory Dragon! No worries about the underpants! LOL! I fancy something Zorro-ish, I like masks, he has a cool hat and dresses all in black. Although Hong Kong Phooey's mask and robe were pretty cool too! Have you seen the film Amelie? Have I asked you that already? Am I perhaps a bit too old and forgetful to be a super hero?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey T-Bone! Thanks bud. I am feeling hugely better today and very Buffy like. Biggest Johnny Love back at you! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hoping you feel a little better today. Life does throw up some difficult challenges at times doesn't it? Or a whole raft of problems that seem insummountable -but I am sure with the help of your family and friends some of those can be addressed, but it's good to get other perspectives sometimes too. If that fails put some good music on that's uplifting in some way. If nothing else will cheer you, I am sure that will! Have a lovely weekend, lots of love and a big hug xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Claire! Thanks for your lovely comment. At least that's my bad day out of the way! I am feeling much better now. Have a fab weekend bud and hope to see you soon. xxx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment!

Popular posts from this blog

Camera Critters #4 - Buzzard

Treasure