Nesting Season

As I type there is a Blackbird building a nest right outside our living room window in the branch crotch of a small tree. I am delighted that we may have a view of the event from the comfort of our sofa but concerned as it is only at about 1.5m off the ground and in no way safe from cats, of which there are many in the area.

I am loathed to disturb the building...I may have to fashion some kind of cat deterrent. I also hope that the noise that is bound to come from the dogs barking at some point does not disturb them too much.

If anyone has any thoughts or advice I would be happy to hear it.

Comments

  1. I had a quick look on the internet and there are some pretty awful looking cat deterrents! But did wonder if you could get your hands on a lot of holly, whether stuffing that in amongst the branches around the nest would prevent cats from climbing up to it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like young hens, which lay double yolk eggs, in training so to speak, to getting it right.
    New/young black birds need to learn where is safe to build nests.
    I hope all is well with them.
    They know food and water are near by.
    By the way they like sultanas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ladies I am delighted to let you know that after day 4 when there was a lot of cat scares, and lots of me rushing to the window and making hissing noises at the cats, the birds cleverly decided that it was not such a good nesting spot and have gone elsewhere. Fast learners!

    Thanks for your comments and advice though, perhaps we should put some planting around the base of the tree anyway in case other birds decide to give it a go next year and Holly we have lots of, it pops up round the garden with suprising frequency!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment!

Popular posts from this blog

Camera Critters #4 - Buzzard

Treasure