What King and Why?

I have been mentally writing a post about where I am in my history pursuits and why they are so important to me but I got distracted this evening and do not have enough time now to do it justice.

I did however at the very least want to record which King I am upto and as such may I introduce you to Henry V, son of Henry IV (that may sound obvious but it doesn't always follow that the next King of that name is the son of the former) from the 15th Century.

May I also just add that if you are really interested in this stuff, what really happened and who these people really were, do not read Shakespear or historical fiction, it is often very misleading and can lead to unjustified prejudice.

Anyway, more on the subject next time. For now I am off to find out what Henry has planned next! Goodnight Bloggers, sleep well.

Comments

  1. You are right assumption of continuity can cause problems and frustration for the reader, while the author would claim artistic licence, to evade or change events.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just can't do history books, myself. Love a good viking saga, though, and if you have never seen it you should watch the this horrible histories spoof song... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qSkaAwKMD4

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Bowledover! Of course on the other side you can learn a lot and the authors tell you any significant fabrications they have made for the purpose of story telling but I am hooked on the facts. 'No Mam, just the facts!' (What is that from? It just popped into my head!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Nichole! I know what you mean but there are some great historical authors out there now who write a great story. I don't even notice I am not reading a novel with dialog anymore. I can recommend Marc Morris and Ian Mortimer if you are ever interested. Have you read the Utred books by Bernhard Cornwall? (He was interviewed on Radio 2 today by the way.) They are Saxon based but lots of Viking raids and Bru says they are brilliant. We have them if you ever fancy it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh meant to say I have not seen the spoof song but love Horrible Histories, I will check it out. I am keeping all quiet now while Bud rests a bit but will look at it tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I have read most of the Bernard Cornwall saxon/viking books, and I love them. There's a great one that starts something like "I awake to a cold mist curling in from the frozen Norfolk field. All my worldly possessions are beside me: my faithful sword, a small bag of coins and an old nun".... honestly! It is something very like that. Can't wait until you have seen the Viking song ("literally" -- you'll get it when you have seen it).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment!

Popular posts from this blog

Camera Critters #4 - Buzzard

Treasure