A change is as good as a rest.

I have always liked that saying, and it is relevant to me at the moment as I find myself ready for autumn, a sure sign that we have had a good and long summer. I now find myself craving wilder weather, rainy days and cooler air (and as such better sleeping!).

Spring and Autumn have long been my favourite seasons, although I treasure all four and their contrasting conditions, however as an arborist and amateur photographer Autumn has the added interest of being the best time for spotting fungi and autumnal foliage.


I am not entirely sure what to expect from either aspects of the season at this point, its been a while since we had such a dry summer. Wet summers usually produce better fruiting seasons for plants, trees and fungi and I have no idea what impact it will have on autumnal foliage, however I am excited to find out.


Comments

  1. How beautiful! I love those pink fungi, like flowing skirts, and the the vibrant colors in the leaves. Hope all of us have a colorful fall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great shots. I thought the pink fungi looked like a new form of rubber shoes!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So pretty. It's dry here so we don't usually get a log of fungi. I loved your Darth Vader story in your comment on my blog, it's truly classic! Those original Star Wars films certainly had a huge impact on those of us growing up during the time of their original releases - I'm also in that age bracket.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks all :0) the fungus is a Ganoderma species, a parasitic fungus on a variety of trees and this is the most fresh and beautiful I have ever seen it. It was on a tall, decaying stump of a tree and as such was putting out as many fruiting bodies as it could to reproduce before its food source was completely gone.

    I am so excited about autumn but also trying not to wish away the last of summer which is hanging on in there, its been so warm today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely fungus - and I like the colourful carpet of leaves! Autumn is one of my favourite times of years.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice colorful leaves welcoming autumn?I have summer all year long here.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment!

Popular posts from this blog

Camera Critters #4 - Buzzard

Treasure