Village Walk

It's a cool, late summers days here today and I have just enjoyed another village walk. I have done this one once before with Mr Dancin. Today I did it in reverse so as to ensure I exited the woods at the right place at the midpoint of the walk. Once inside from the direction we walked it originally it is a bit of a maze of paths and the last time we walked it was in winter so no leaves on the trees. 

This first picture is taken about a third of the way around the walk which starts off in the village but I didn't want to photograph the urban aspect.


The trees on the right hand side are predominantly Sycamore coppice regenerative growth however the woodland boasts a wide variety of broadleaves. It is suffering from lapsed management and fly tipping in areas from residential areas on its periphery but is still a lovely environment.


A stream runs along the left hand side of the path, affronted by a retaining wall with houses on the other side.


The last time I was here the stream was in full flow; today it is a mere trickle in places however some areas where deeper pools persist still have fish in them.


At this point the stream disappears into a tunnel. I am unsure of its original usage, this area has a history of mining, canals and a steam train network, however now the stream runs below a footpath built through the tunnel.


There is some more exotic tree planting and evidence of some more recent management. 


This is the pool where I saw several fish approximately 20cm in length. I suspect they were tench however am not completely sure.


This is the view through the tunnel.





After the exit of the tunnel back into the woodland the stream heads off in another direction to the footpath.


The path continues into a large expanse of woodland that borders the parkland I am heading for and carries on up the valley passed several derelict farms and cottages. In the late winter/ spring this area is covered in wild garlic.


Finding the right path I pop out into the parkland. This is municipal land and there are grazing rights although I am unsure of the details. There are currently two horses and a foal here. They were not close enough for me to photograph today and I do not like to disturb them as they make an effort to avoid people who are usually here with their dogs.


There are a few parkland oaks in various states of decline but still providing character and habitat.


The path then heads towards another area of woodland and follows a jitty through it and back out into the top end of the village.



One last look back at the park before I leave.


Comments

  1. What a lovely and leafy green walk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can smell nature and hear the crickets in your shots!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is such a pretty place - there's nothing like walking in the woods.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone, it was a very nice walk and I am glad you enjoyed the shots. I am a little restricted in my walks at present but not for much longer and then I look forward to exploring the wilds of which there is a lot here. The mountains are calling.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely place to visit.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment!

Popular posts from this blog

Camera Critters #4 - Buzzard

Treasure