The Art of Good Management

It has been an interesting day although I have a trouble at work of late. I head up a team and I have a member of staff who gives me cause for concern. They have been with the team for some time however recently certain issues have come to light that have necessitated closer monitoring of their performance and I find it a trying job.

Some years ago my Mum gave me The One Minute Manager, by Kenneth Blanchard and Spencer Johnson, to read and although I was not in a managerial position at the time I was so impressed by the book I made an effort to retain the lessons it shared for such a time when I may be.

I have managed a few teams in recent years and have learned some valuable lessons however it is only in this job that I really feel I have got a good grip of things and have struck a successful balance between maintaining a pleasant work relationship and being an effective manager.

I am patient, consistent, and supportive while encouraging others to utilise their own initiative however, today I would like to have bawled at them! It would be so much simpler just to take them to one side and say what the hell is going on?

It frustrates me that a person in such a good position with so many opportunities and a good mind for the job should make such little effort. I do not believe that lack of ability is the issue, more attitude and very possibly circumstance that I am unaware of.

Anyway, I have a very supportive manager myself who is aware of the situation. It is very useful to have him to voice ideas with regarding improving my team members performance or getting to the bottom of the issue.

With regard The One Minute Manager I would still recommend the book to anyone. It is interesting and has a worthwhile message.

Comments

  1. Anonymous5:58 pm

    When dealing with this type of response. It may be a positive move to set shorter time limits for their work, and to ask for their appraisal of the task.
    The individual may ask why this is happening. This is a good time to get them to open up about any dissatisfaction's they are harbouring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you anonymous, I will try that. People management is a full time job in itslf isn't it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:19 pm

    I am sure that you had already thought of this action or even tried it out already dancin'. I know that your consistant approach would solve difficulties.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your vote of confidence! Is that you Macs Niece?

    I hope that this is an issue I can eventually resolve.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment!

Popular posts from this blog

Camera Critters #4 - Buzzard

Treasure