I'll Tell You a Tale...

It was a dark and stormy night, and the captain said to his mate, 'Mate, tell us a story.' and this is the story. It was a dark and stormy night, and the captain said to his mate, 'Mate, tell us a story.'...you get the picture!

Well it is a very dark and very stormy night, we have snow forecast for the weekend, and the sound of the wind outside put that little ditty in my head. Is ditty the right word, or does a ditty have to have a tune? Anyway the next little ditty has a tune.

When we were kids my Dad used to sing or recite us bedtime 'dittys' including that top one which always made us laugh. I am sure he used to put on a pirates voice although that could just be my imagination. It seemed as if he did and it added great atmosphere to the moment.

Shortly after remembering 'It was a dark and stormy night' I found myself humming this one which I have not thought of for years and was a favourite of mine.

I'll tell you the tale of the Nancy Lee, the ship that got shipwrecked at sea
The bravest man was Captain Brown, 'Cause he played his ukulele as the ship went down.

All the crew was in despair, some rushed here and some rushed there,
But the Captain sat in the Captain's chair, and he played his ukulele as the ship went down.

The Captain said to Seaman Jones: "You'd best put on your working clothes
While you stand and spray your hose I can play me ukulele as the ship goes down."

All the crew was in despair, some rushed here and some rushed there,
But the Captain sat in the Captain's chair, and he played his ukulele as the ship went down.

The owners signalled to the crew, saying: "Do the best that you can do.
We're only insured for half-a-crown, we'll be out of pocket if the ship goes down."

All the crew was in despair, some rushed here and some rushed there,
But the Captain sat in the Captain's chair, and he played his ukulele as the ship went down.

The Captain's wife was on board ship, and he was very glad of it
But she could swim and she might not drown so we tied her to the anchor as the ship went down.

All the crew was in despair, some rushed here and some rushed there,
But the Captain sat in the Captain's chair, and he played his ukulele as the ship went down.

The crow's nest fell and killed the crow, the starboard watch was two hours slow
But the Captain sang fal-oh-de-oh-doh and he played his ukulele as the ship went down

All the crew was in despair, some rushed here and some rushed there,
But the Captain sat in the Captain's chair, and he played his ukulele as the ship went down.

Comments

  1. Never heard this one before. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Note to DF: see comment under Sky Watch Friday's beeuuuutiful photo. Too tired to do both (oops! I just did!)
    SisSTAR xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi dancin' what a wise captain he was to be sure. No sense in loosing his head in his case.
    You have a very good memory.
    Mind I recall someone who memorised complete sound tracks to favorite films.
    It was good training no doubt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Bobbie! I am delighted to pass this one on!

    Hey Kyle! Thanks for both of your comments. I enjoyed singing your other comment to the tune of The Nancy Lee and it fits perfectly!!

    Hey Bowledover! I cannot claim to remember all of this but thanks to the Internet you can find anything you want with the smallest bit of info. However, I am pretty sure I can still manage most of the script to Love at First Bite and Zorro - The Gay Blade! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous5:26 pm

    What we have here is a "false folk song," a pop song that caught on so well people started making up their own verses.

    I first heard it on a 1932 recording by the Ambrose Orchestra. Composer credit to Arthur LeClerq.

    Thanks for posting the lyric- I'd forgotten some of it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Mylar. Thank you for your comment and the information. I wonder if the original tune is the one I know? I keep trying to find a sung version to post.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment!

Popular posts from this blog

Camera Critters #4 - Buzzard

Treasure