Let it Grow

This week has all been about planting for me. I have some extensive group restoration and formal planting schemes planned for this year and am ordering trees for delivery in the autumn.

I usually buy containerised trees and will be going to the nursery in July to pick out the specific trees I want.

The nursery are very good however if you leave it until they arrive on site it is difficult to go through them all and make sure there are no issues. Also when you are spending between £80 - £200 on a tree you want to make sure its the best of the bunch.

I went to one of the formal parks I manage yesterday to look at some trees that have been vandalised. They will need to be replaced in the autumn.

While I was there I took some pictures of the trees that have been establishing at the park. Some of these species I will be planting at other sites later in the year. The species shown here in order of appearance are: Giant Redwood or Wellingtonia (Sequoiadendron giganteum), Deodar Cedar (Cedrus deodara), Blue Atlantic Cedar or Blue Atlas Cedar(Cedrus artlantica 'Glauca') and Giant Redwood again (Sequioadendron giganteum).

Tree planting is, as I have mentioned, the best part of my job and I am looking forward to getting the trees in and watching them develop in the coming years. I will not see them develop into maturity however if other people had not planted trees throughout the last few centuries I would not get to enjoy the mature treescapes I get to walk through. It is a legacy for the future.

Comments

  1. Hi dancin' so glad you are getting to have a 'stake in the future', with these trees you mention.Glad that you are enjoying it so much.
    We visited a 5,000 year old yew in Scotland and will post pictures soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am looking forward to seeing the yew!

    We have been asked to price for a survey of another Capability Brown landscape survey in your area. I will tell you details soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi DF, sorry it's taken me so long to visit ... I always love your posts, esp of the Fri Sky Watch and your tree planting and dogs and such (those were some crazy scary clouds!!) and I wanted to thank you for planting trees. My dad planted many cedar trees on his (now our) property and some had to be cut down due to insect damage. We have a triple trunk white birch we paid good money to "save" and it has done well and a huge black walnut ... but the cotton poplars are having their heyday right now, throwing out those big clumps of "cotton wadding" and "fuzzies" all over like it's snowing. I love the leaves the way they remind me of aspens (if I've ever seen one??) but our cedars, I hope they keep hanging in there. They engulf our house ... my brother gave me seedlings many yrs ago and 3 of those are now 15' tall or so on the extra acre away from the house. I have a favorite McIntosh apple tree that I love to sit in and listen to the birds. OK, enuf said...sending kindly thoughts your way across the ocean!
    SisSTAR xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Bud! Don't apologise for the delay or the length of post, it is always good to hear from you whenever you visit!

    Your garden sounds so lovely and I envy you the trees. We have squeezed as many into our little garden as we can!

    We also have a birch, and a rowan and apple. There is also a cotoneaster which thinks it is a tree, the birds agree!

    Happy weekend to you, keep smiling and bye for now!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment!

Popular posts from this blog

Camera Critters #4 - Buzzard

Treasure