What's the Best Thing about your Job?

As a consulting arborist or tree consultant I get to spend most of my time out and about and get involved in many aspects of tree management from inspection to recommending pruning or felling, writing reports and contracts, supervising contractors who undertake the works, implementing long term management plans for woodland or veteran tree management (ancient trees) but the best part of my job without a doubt is planting trees and then watching them grow!

Today I visited a formal park in a town that I use to manage and went to look at the trees I put in several years ago. There are groups of trees, formal planted areas and commemorative trees and I am delighted to say they are all doing very well.

It is now quite possible to imagine them in maturity and visualise the impact they will have on the park and the experience of walking round it.

Tomorrow I am visiting a woodland I manage with a group of school children. I have been asked to create an area suitable for them to use as an outside teaching area and as such have created a glade within a woodland with views of the nesting birds and other wildlife.

The glade has been lined with a membrane to deter weeds and covered in wood chip and I have placed several large logs in the glade to be used as chairs and desks.

I will not be there with them every week but am going down for their first visit tomorrow and hope to pop back from time to time.

I thought I would try and impart some tree knowledge to them, or if more appropriate give it to their teacher to talk to them about in the coming weeks.

As they are young children I thought I would keep it simple and start with 5 creatures that can live in trees: bats, birds, squirrels, bees, monkeys.

5 things that are good about trees: they clean our air, they make our parks look nice, they provide shade on hot days, some trees provide fruit to eat, and they are fun to climb.

I am really looking forward to it and think that it will be a great afternoon.

Comments

  1. Well done on the work completed and the work in progress.
    We are asked to encourage youngsters to think about conservation.
    You have done more than that.
    It will be rewarding to see the children's response.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi and thanks for your visit SWF.
    Its worth googling Asperatus Cloud
    they are so unusual.
    Glad you had such a wonderful response with the school and children. You have a way with people.
    Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Bowledover! Thank you for your comments. I had such a good afternoon with the children and they were very interested in trees. We had a great chat and they bombarded me with questons which was brilliant. I hope I can contribute to more of their sessions over the coming months. I would also like to arrange a climbing demonstration for them as I think they would be intereted and impressed.

    I will look up the Asperatus Cloud, thanks again for the tip.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment!

Popular posts from this blog

Camera Critters #4 - Buzzard

Treasure