Holiday - North Wales August 2009

I have been a little reluctant to return to all of the normal routines since we returned from holiday.

We had such a relaxing time, in fact it has been voted our best holiday ever!

As a result it has taken me a while to get some pictures up on the blog but finally here they are! (Picture 1 - base camp with fire pit!)

We stayed in the one place while away which is new for us, we were lucky enough to be able to stay on a friends land just outside of Caernarfon with mountain views, 25 acres to ourselves and the use of a farm house for washing ourselves and drying clothes.

The dogs, needless to say, were in heaven and spent all day, when we were not off on a yomp, playing with their toys in the fields and exploring.

This shot was taken at the summit of Moel Shiobod (872m). We were in the cloud and the wind kept blowing the camera over for the self timer shot.

We did evenutally get one but you can't really make us out too well though the cloud!

It was a testing day for leg muscles and waterproofs alike!

There is something about reaching a summit though, its all tied up with the journey and the team spirit of a walk, finally reaching your goal is awesome, even if you don't get the views!


This is of course Buddy looking very handsome and taking in the views we did have during a coffee break on a walk up the valley opposite Snowdon. The dogs made the most of every walk and every stop. They were happy to sit for a while but spent the time looking around and soaking up the wide open space. The shot below is Roxy. Neither of them like having their photos taken and usually move or look away if you make too much of a fuss so I had to be quick about it!

We tried to structure our big walks to one every other day to give ourselves time to dry clothes and rest the dogs’ paws. A big walk on average was out for 8 hours covering 8 miles over mountains, through valleys, up gorges, along rivers and through bogs!

We always take our walking seriously on the safety front and go prepared with good footwear and appropriate waterproof clothing plus changes of clothes, compass, OS map, and enough food and drink to allow several stops.

The ‘pack up’ usually consists of two lots of sandwiches each, two bags of crisps each, bananas, cake (replaced on this holiday with custard donuts) two soft drinks, one canteen of water and a flask of hot coffee!

Oh, and a bar of Kendal mint cake or such and a hip flask of whiskey, obviously for emergencies or to toast reaching a summit!

The picture on the right is Snowdon and in my opinion of it's best side!

With binoculars we could see all the people scurrying about at the top!

The weather was mixed for the whole 2 weeks but suited us very well. It’s no fun walking in blistering hot sunshine with no breeze!

We had strong winds all of the time and then a mixture of rainy days, overcast days and some cooler sunny days. Although once up a mountain everything can change at the drop of a hat.

We got in some great kite flying thanks to the wind and practised our tricks.

We had a couple of stints walking in cloud and torrential rain where landscape features and footpaths disappear before you but we enjoy the challenge of finding your way through by map and compass. In between the bigger walks we had long days or reading.

I managed to devour three books while we were away and thoroughly enjoyed it! We also had some smaller walks to the beach and in surrounding woodland.

We had most of our evening meals at the tent and came up with some new recipes!

As my fella in not a vegetarian it is a little more challenging to come up with a meal we can both eat, but that has meat content for him, on three gas rings. I enjoy the challenge!

As the winds were so strong we only managed one camp fire but it was a good one and we sat out late.

We also got a ‘Hello’ and our names read out on Radio 2 by Mark Radcliffe!

The radio is a good companion when camping but I really did enjoy getting into reading.

I never miss the TV when we are away but the temptation to put it on when we are back is strong!







Anyway, such a wonderful holiday for us all. I have chosen a few snaps from the best walks as well as a cool picky or two of the dogs!

Enjoy and I wish happy holidays to you all whenever you take them.

Comments

  1. Oh, DF, these were all so great to see. It's 2:30 am here and I am wired so these are soothing and calming to me. I esp love the one with the giant rocks and the strange rocky path...but of course all of them are exceptional. I've always yearned to know more about Wales. First time I saw a pic of you and I can't make it out too good but you have a wonderful smile! dogs look like they're having great fun! Thanks so much! (and for visiting my bloggie!) yes, I do like to change it...gets too boring otherwise. Did you like my new "Puss Puss"? ;oD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:48 am

    Hello,
    Mate sounds like you had a wonderful holiday. Hope you are both refreshed and raring to go again......probably not though!

    Nice pictures, all looks lovely.

    M

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely photos. Your dog is beautiful!

    It is funny, I live in Pennsylvania, USA, and the little town right next to us is called North Wales.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Kyle! Glad you liked the shots, I think you would love Wales, its a lot like Scotland but without the midges!

    I love you new puss pet and cannot believe how advanced the graphics are! I had a look at what pets are available but for now will stick with Pip and Nanook I think!

    Hey T-Bone! We are refreshed and have managed to hold onto that holiday spirit which is great! Hope you are really well? We must arrange a get together soon and this side of Christmas! Are you free at half term? I'll give you a call to chat about it in the next few days. Bye for now bud!

    Hey Martha! Thanks for the information, I did not know that. Maybe someone long ago was homesick for the mountains although as I know little of your part of the world you may have mountains of your own? Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous6:49 pm

    Hello again,

    Yes I'm well thanks.
    A get together would be lovely. Sorry I didn't make it over to see you in the summer hols like I said I would.
    I don't have any excuses I just didn't make it, which is not to say i didn't want to.....but you know how it is!
    That said I am going to try to visit for the weekend real soon. Busy for the next 3 but hopefully the one after if you are both around.
    Anyhooo will speak to you soon.

    T-bone

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment!

Popular posts from this blog

Camera Critters #4 - Buzzard

Treasure