The Impossible Dream

I have had this song in my head for a few days, I find it very moving. I know lots of versions of it and have been looking on You Tube this evening; there's Matt Monroe, Elvis, Andy Williams of course and then Peter O'Toole. (I would have posted the version from the Honda advert which is brilliant however they miss out some of the lyrics which is annoying.)

I did not know that this song came from a musical and have since been learning all about The Man of La Mancha.

I first heard a version of this song by Roger Whittaker.

Anyway I could not decide on a version to post and so have opted for posting the lyrics however if you click on the title link below you can here Peter O'Toole singing it.

"The Impossible Dream"
from MAN OF LA MANCHA (1972)
music by Mitch Leigh and lyrics by Joe Darion


To dream the impossible dream, to fight the unbeatable foe
To bear with unbearable sorrow, to run where the brave dare not go

To right the unrightable wrong, to love pure and chaste from afar
To try when your arms are too weary, to reach the unreachable star

This is my quest, to follow that star
No matter how hopeless, no matter how far

To fight for the right, without question or pause
To be willing to march into Hell, for a heavenly cause

And I know if I'll only be true, to this glorious quest
That my heart will lie peaceful and calm, when I'm laid to my rest

And the world will be better for this, that one man, scorned and covered with scars
Still strove with his last ounce of courage, to reach the unreachable star.

Comments

  1. I always got choked up on this one. We sang it in choir in high school and I used to play it on the piano (long ago and far away). I like your new blog ... sorry you had a problem. I'm always paranoid about what I do but I keep playing around, anyway. Your blog is so much more advanced than mine because I'm a coward, plus I just don't tend to do much on the web, can't even figure out how to be part of Sky Watch ;o( (even though you were kind enough to explain before). I know I would love Wales, would love to hear the language spoken...it seems to be the strangest! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Bud! Glad you like the new look, I find it much easier to read! Most of my additions have been through errors that have forced me to learn more!

    Let me know if you want a hand with Sky Watch. It would be great for you to join.

    Welsh is an odd language, I find it very difficult. They use the alphabet differently and I find even the place names very difficult to pronounce. I joke that they made it as hard as possible to make it impossible for us English to learn!

    I know we are all within the UK but there are still divides between the english, scottish, welsh and irish that go back for centuries. I think its brilliant that there is such a pride in our heritage and history.

    Hope you are having a brilliant week, bye for now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have now put The Impossible Dream by Roger Whiticker in my mind I can see bowls is going to go with a swing today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope its a good swing! Let me know how it goes. xxx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment!

Popular posts from this blog

Camera Critters #4 - Buzzard

Treasure