Whirlwind

Blimey it is the second to last day of August! This month has just flown by and although we have been busy doing really nice things I am still having trouble accounting for 31 days! That's actually one thing I really like about blogging, it allows you to look back and remember things you have done or thought, music you have found or friends you have made. 

We have a similarly busy month coming up next but smack bang in the middle of it is our summer holiday! Two whole weeks in the tent in Scotland and I cannot wait! Mountains, fresh air, camp fires, walking all day, reading all day, flying the kite oh and teaching Buddy to swim!

Anyway, I have been looking back through my blog for the last holiday we had in Scotland which was on Skye, and instead stumbled across my first Thursday Thirteen post, where I noted 13 things I like about camping, and this photo I took while working in Scotland a few years back. I am looking forward to views like this and the reasons for my love of camping stay the same.

Thursday 13 - 23rd August 2008 'I love being outside and would camp all year round if given the chance. With suitable under bed mats and a fire to sit round in the evening the UK is a perfect place to camp no mater what the season; in fact, if I could I would live outside, with a hut or shelter for rest and to escape the wilder weather. I tend to camp in the most extreme environments this country has to offer. Here are 13 things I love about camping:

1. Fresh Air – I go camping for two consecutive weeks every year and during that time seldom set foot inside a building. I feel great benefit from constant fresh air and the elements and after a few days become totally acclimatised to the weather. There is always air movement around you rather than the still and sterile atmosphere of the built environment and associated heating systems, to which I become accustomed to for most of the year.

2. Observing Nature – The great outdoors provides a constant source of activity to be observed. Camping allows you to access the countryside in a unique way and provides constant entertainment and sensory stimulus.

3. Restful Sleep – I sleep better than at any other time when I am camping, probably related to the fresh air, but even if disturbed through the night I find comfort in the noises I hear, be they the wind, the adjacent stream, or cows and sheep eating grass outside!

4. Body Clock – When I am camping my internal body clock resets itself and I tend to go to sleep earlier in the evenings (lack of good light being a contributory factor) and wake earlier in the mornings. I love mornings and it’s great to be up and about at what I think is the most beautiful part of the day.

5. Appetite – Another factor of camping that I partially attribute to the fresh air is my ravenous appetite. I think that the increased activity of hill walking and cycling also helps but when I am away I can eat three cooked meals a day and thoroughly enjoy every one of them.

6. No TV – I am actually quite a big fan of the TV and have over the years clocked up many hours watching films and science fiction shows but I never miss the TV when I am camping and I enjoy it being absent from my life. I have considered getting rid of my TV; my partner spent some years without one happily and only got one again as his dog started spending most of the time in his house mates room watching one man and his dog and animal hospital! (I kid you not!) Anyway, we no longer have dogs and have discussed getting rid of our TV however the prospect of no football, and no viewing my Buffy the Vampire Slayer DVDs was enough to make us hesitate! (I know it’s a kids show but I like it!)

7. Homing Skills – I find that camping brings out certain skills that much of the western world no longer utilises as a necessity and I enjoy using and perfecting them. Whether it’s developing my sense of direction and map reading, picking a good camping spot taking into consideration all available resources or producing a meal to satisfy both a herbivore and omnivore with camping catering equipment! (It’s the cooked breakfast that’s the trickiest!)

8. Simplicity – I enjoy the simplicity of camping trips. The day starts and your only considerations are to feed and clothe yourself appropriately, and then to achieve your chosen activity for the day while being prepared for anything nature may throw at you.

9. Climbing Mountains – There is a wonderful sense of achievement and calm that comes from completing a hill or mountain walk. It is a paced journey requiring mental and physical discipline and a respect of your environment and the forces of nature. (Ok not necessarily a component of camping trips but definitely a component of my camping trips!)

10. Erecting the Tent – The tents available now are very simple to put up requiring little skill or time however it is still an integral part of the camping experience from the selection of the spot to achieving a balanced shelter capable of withstanding strong winds and rain, without blowing away or flooding, in the middle of the night…..which is always when the worst weather occurs!

11. Time – I always feel like I have loads of time when I am camping. I think our lives become cluttered by the clutter we accumulate in our houses. The more things we buy to do, the more there is to be done but the time available to us does not increase. When I go camping personal effects are kept to a minimum to allow easy transportation and minimise distraction. I always have a book, a pen and paper and occasionally my guitar. My mind is very still and restful. 

12. Seclusion – I have found other campers to be predominantly friendly but similarly to me protective of their time in the great outdoors and therefore not overly sociable. This suits me well. 

13. Peace – I think the last item encompasses all of the other 12 in one way or another. Camping gives me peace.'


Scotland here we come!!!

Comments

  1. We will be thinking of you.
    We know you will have a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful, Dancin! Will look fwd to seeing your Scotland photos. I haven't camped since the early '80s. Your 13 reasons are very convincing...but then, you have Scotland. Oh, sure, we have lots of beauty and wonder here, but right now our nearly 2 acres is all brown and burnt up from the heat and with the cost of our water bills, we just haven't watered. Our garden pond is even below half full ;o( poor little bullfrogs! Anyway, just stopping by and enjoying your posts! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Bowledover! Thank you, we are starting to prepare, the camping lists are out to make sure we don't forget anything crucial, although given packing constraints everything is crucial, it is a fine tuned camping kit, and in no small way thanks to you and Lord Lucan!

    Today I am looking for camp sites where we can have camp fires in the evening.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Kyle! I cannot wait to be in a field under the stars! Sorry to hear it is so hot and dry there, I am sending you rain wishes! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful photo - and your 13 reasons are very close to my heart too ... if only others were as keen lol! I love the peace and tranquility of the whole experience, being at one with nature and just having a more simple existence. Can't beat it in my opinion! I wish you a very happy camping holiday in Scotland next week and super weather! x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment!

Popular posts from this blog

Camera Critters #4 - Buzzard

Treasure