Booking Through Thursday

I have come across a wonderful blog called Booking Through Thursday. The blog has various questions relating to books and reading, and you are encouraged to copy the question into a posting of your own and answer it. By leaving a comment on the original blog you provide a link for others to find your question and answers. What a fabulous tool for a bit of blog networking!

I recently gained a blog view from Africa, my first from that continent (Hello if you are looking again!) and have really got the blogging bug. I love the fact that people from all over the world have seen my pictures and musings and hope they have enjoyed 'In The Pink' as much as I enjoy maintaining it.

Anyway, without further ado the question I choose is this, as it is a subject I have recently tackled.

Bookless

'It happens even to the best readers from time to time… you close the cover on the book you’re reading and discover, to your horror, that there’s nothing else to read. Either there’s nothing in the house, or nothing you’re in the mood for. Just, nothing that “clicks.” What do you do?? How do you get the reading wheels turning again?'

This happened recently in our house to my partner. He has just finished a long awaited book that forms part of The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant by Stephen Donaldson - The Runes of the Earth.

He enjoyed the book immensely and as he has been reading and re-reading Thomas Covenant for many years was left with the dilemma, just how do you follow that! A few weeks past and his frustration at not having the right book to move onto grew so, I went shopping. (Image Credit The Official Stehpen Donaldson Website.)


When ever I run out of things to read or just need that special book to get me back into reading I go book shopping, the more obscure the book shop the better, however I believe that the next great book is only a shop away. I went searching for him until I found that very book. Something a little different.

I am happy to announce he is now devouring Life of Pi, Yann Martel, winner of the Man Booker Prize for Fiction 2002. (Image Credit Powells.com) The summary paragraph on the back of the book is what attracted me to it. It reads:

'After the tragic sinking of a cargo ship, one solitary lifeboat remains bobbing on the wild, blue Pacific. The only survivors from the wreck are a sixteen-year-old boy named Pi, a hyena, a zebra (with a broken leg), a female orang-utan...and a 450-pound Royal Bengal tiger.'

Need I say more! If you have read this book I would love to hear your thoughts but don't give too much away, I will be reading it next! Other books that have saved the day in times of literary drought are: Peter Hill, Stargazing - Memoirs of a Young Lighthouse Keeper, found on holiday in a small bookshop in Scotland, Mark Wallington - Pennine Walkies, a gift to us from my mother in law, and The Assassin's Cloak - An Anthology of the World's Greatest Diaries, edited by Irene and Alan Taylor, a wonderful find and gift for my brother in law last Christmas, although we have since purchased a copy for ourselves.

I have to give a final mention to a series of books that my sister introduced me to many years ago that I have often fallen back on. A series of books that will always entertain me and I have usually forgotten enough of the events to make them still fresh. The wonderful Tales of the City series by Armistead Maupin. If you have not read these books I would strongly recommend it. I have lent my copies to several friends over the years and before I can say 'are you enjoying the first book?' they are usually on the sixth, devouring them like there's no tomorrow!

I would love to hear what books you have found in times of need, please feel free to leave me a comment and list as many books as you like. (Thanks Coversgirl! I really enjoyed this!)

Comments

  1. Thanks for playing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Deb, no problem I really enjoyed joining in and love having a chance to promote books that have really appealed to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There really is no particular book I return to when I'm in an in-between reading stage. I do not re-read books very often, prefering to choose from my many unread books. I usually take the opportunity to step away from my reading for a short while until something appeals to me. I like to mix up my reading as well, so as to avoid burning out on one type of book. Maybe follow-up with a light, funny book after reading a more serious and sad one.

    I am glad you found the site! It is a great way to network among fellow booklovers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous3:15 pm

    The life of Pi was a birthday gift to me when it was first released.
    I enjoyed it very much and still have my copy.
    You will enjoy it too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Literary Feline (top name by the way!) thanks for your comments. I also like to change book subject matter. I like reading the Sharpe books by Bernard Cornwall but cannot read two in a row, there are too many battles!

    Bowledover, I didn't know you had read it but am glad you enjoyed the book, it sounded really good.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment!

Popular posts from this blog

Camera Critters #4 - Buzzard

Treasure