The Compassionate Shopping Guide

Over the past few years I have been trying to buy personal care and house hold cleaning products that are environmentally friendly and are not tested on animals. I use Ecover household products and have, for the most, purchased personal products from The Body Shop. Even Mr Dancin has been a willing convert to The Body Shop.

However he returned from town last week saying that he had seen a notice on a stall calling for a boycott of The Body Shop. He was a little reluctant to tell me as The Body Shop is my favourite shop and I love going there to treat myself.

Anyway I looked it up online. The Body Shop was sold to  L'Oreal in 2006 and at the time I checked with The Body Shop to ensure that their animal friendly status still stood to be assured it did however it has been speculated that the profits from the organisation are not ring fenced and are used to suppliment L'Oreal who do not maintain an animal friendly status as of yet. There is a lot more to is that this and I recommend if you are interested you have a read of available information, of which there is much online.

For myself it has raised a dliema which has lead to me purchasing a copy of The Compassionate Shopping Guide from Naturewatch which is a difinitive guide to cruelty free, eco-friendly personal care and household cleaning products.

The guide has a wealth of information which I am currently working my way through. If this is an issue close to your heart I recommend you buy a copy of this very reasonably priced book however I will also detail my findings and purchases here as I go.

I am loathed to leave The Body Shop but at the same time I really cannot justify the testing of what are non essential cosmetic products on animals, and believe that we know enough now about household products to cease animal testing.

Comments

  1. I must admit I did wonder when L'Oreal bought Body Shop whether it was just a label that L'Oreal could use to widen their consumer profile to include 'green' shoppers! I only buy BS eye cream but I guess it's worth looking online to see what else is out there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read that Anita Roddick thought that this move would make Body Shop products available to a larger market therefore spreading the word of cruelty free cosmetics but this guide will not endorse companies or any of their subsidiary companies.

    I am so going to miss the Body Shop but I will write to them and urge them to sign up to a Fixed Cut Off Date which means that they will not use any products tested on animals after this date, that gets them approved status. I will post some more of the details over at Evolved as there is a lot to it and lots of positives. I would recommend Lush for starters for a replacement eye cream, they have approved status but there are loads of other companies too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well now that is a difficulty.
    I have read your post a little too late, to have stopped me offending for the seasons holiday.
    Sorry.

    I will take on board what you have said.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Bowledover, as we have discussed don't worry ok? I cannot switch everything immediately anyway! And your gifts are always very well received. xxx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment!

Popular posts from this blog

Camera Critters #4 - Buzzard

Treasure