Weekly Six 10th - 16th September 2007

Ok, I have done enough justification of the irregularity of this posting previously, anyone who has been reading will have heard it all, so let's just enjoy and get down to it!!

Item 1: Larger Than Life

I have recently watched the conclusive, second series to the HBO via BBC drama Rome. The first series was screened last year and out of an interest of that historical period Sunpat and I watched.

For those of you who have neither: seen the series, seen the trailers or been staying at our house when there was an episode on that we made you endure, it spans the return of Julius Caesar to Rome following a successful campaign in......well almost everywhere they encountered, up to the demise of Mark Anthony and Cleopatra.

The series is brutal and graphic in both scenes of violence and physical relations however I would like to promote this series as an excellent introduction to a race admirable in it's achievements and civil structure.

There are of course alternative adaptations of this period of history in many different mediums however where the Romans are concerned so far I have suffered insufficient patience and vocabulary for them. (Excepting Carry on Cleo!)

Rome - The HBO Series gave me a insight into a people I sought to understand, and through their story I feel I have achieved that.

So extensive preambles aside, let me introduce you to the focus of this item, a character larger than life, Marcus Antonius - c. January 14, 83 BC – August 1, 30 BC. (Played by James Purefoy.)

I immensely disliked this character during the first series; which although excellent in content and story line lacked some of the more advanced graphic enhancements that made the second series awesome and increased it's impact. I found Mark Anthony to be crude, arrogant to the point of 'Q'ism' (Imagine an omnipotent being, arrogant by definition in it's all knowing, all seeing state of self belief and self riotousness.) I wished failure and misery upon him and did not even fall prey to his devilish good looks!

It is, I feel, tribute to this actors skill and the success of the series writer, director and cast in general that by the end of series two (the ultimate series) I felt, compassion and most importantly understanding for this monster of a man, larger than life. (Image Credit HMO.)

Item 2: Sign

When I was a child my sister and I learnt sign language. Not the advanced version of words seen on the television accompanying some programs but the sign alphabet which allows you to simply spell words out letter by letter.

It is very easy and logical to learn, for example the vowels are the five fingers of the hand in order starting with the thumb. You simply point to each finger or make the shape of the consonants as indicated here.

I used to sing in the church choir when I was at school and my friend and I would utilise the sign language to chat during the sermon. (In retrospect my apologies to the Vicars concerned.)

I recently found a card that details the sign alphabet, which I have never forgotten, and would like to pass it on. It is so easy to learn and as a result of this simple undertaking I am capable of speaking another language.

Please take a moment to look through the alphabet and see how easy it is, and pass it on if you can. You could practice with your partner or your children or friends and in such a small space of time would have gained a valuable skill that may aid you in the future.

Item 3: The Starlings Return

This item is an update on the state of the birds within our garden this year. Previous postings within the weekly six and verse labels have documented the determination of the one winged starling, the one legged starling, (Just goes to show how determined they are!) and many of the other visitors we have had to our garden over the past 12 months.

I am unable to comment on the injured starlings more than to say we saw the one with the injured wing up until his damaged feather came out however I believe that he made a full recovery and was just indistinguishable from the others after this point, and the one with one leg....no really, damaged foot that just seemed to come off, has not been seen for some months however endured for much of the summer and adapted to his disability with admirable determination, able to feed, drink and bathe.

Sparrows and starlings, previously birds both common and high in number, are now on the endangered bird species lists however we currently support in excess of 50 starlings and 30 sparrows, thanks to peanuts, mealworm birdmix, fat balls, and our neighbours fabulous wildlife garden that adds to our own and provides a haven. Oh, and our neighbour but ones conifer row which serves as a starling block of flats!

Comments

  1. My Sister and I learned a bit of sign language when we were kids too, but what you have illustrated is different than American Sign Language. That's very interesting. I never really thought about it being different in different countries. I mean, Braille is the same for all English speaking countries. I guess I just assumed Sign Language would be too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:22 am

    Just a mention that there is a virus sweeping the country which affects sparrows, starlings and blackbirds. It makes their throats swell up, which prevents them from swallowing and they consequently starve to death.
    I hope the virus vanishes soon for all birds, as they make a point of introducing their young to the gardens of plenty and we therefore have many years of pleasure from son of and daughter of ect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:49 pm

    RE: Marcus Antonias. Did I recognise myself in that (biased) description?

    ReplyDelete
  4. L^2 - An interesting point. You would expect it to be a universal language. I will look into the American version. Thanks for that.

    Bowledover - Thank you for the information, I will look into that, it's a bit of a worry. We certainly benefit from a succession of birds returning to the garden, although I have to say at present they are certainly not having any issue eating! Rather doing a great impression of locusts!

    Lord L - Obviously only the omnipotent and devilish good looks part of that character description are applicable to you! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope Australia gets the second series of Rome. But I have my doubts; the first series was shuffed to the off-season after two weeks (generally agreed to have been a low blow on the part of Channel 9) and the quality of programming has gone downhill since then. Maybe I should just find a good book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Coversgirl! Sorry to hear about Rome; ordinarily I would advocate a good book as substitute but in this case I recommend you buy/ hire the DVD box sets for Rome, it is really worth watching it all!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment!

Popular posts from this blog

Camera Critters #4 - Buzzard

Treasure