I am a big Star Trek fan. I used to watch the original as a child my my family but as an adult really got into The Next Generation, second time round! Brent Spiner, pictured here, played Lieutenant Commander Data for those who don't know. He was an android, void of emotion, who strived to become more human. The role gave way for a weekly analysis by Data of the human being, in an attempt to understand humanity, and I found this to be very thought provoking.

At the same time the character attempted to replicate the behaviour he leaned, and lived by a code of conduct programmed in by his humanoid creator, Dr Nunian Sung.(Also played by Brent Spiner). Ok, for those of you nodding off I am not going to tell you anymore about Star Trek, but I am going to show you some of Data's poetry! It's much better then Vogon Poetry really! (But please follow the Vogon link, there is a Vogon poetry creator tool there that looks like good fun!)

I give you - 'Ode to Spot' by Lieutenant Commander Data

Felus Catus is your taxonomic nomenclature
An endothermic quadruped, carnivorous by nature

Your visual, olfactory, and auditory senses
Contribute to your hunting skills and natural defenses

I find myself intrigued by your sub vocal oscillations
A singular development of cat communications

That obviates your basic hedonistic predilection
For a rhythmic stroking of your fur to demonstrate affection

A tail is quite essential for your acrobatic talents
You would not be so agile if you lacked its counterbalance

And when not being utilized to aid in locomotion
It often serves to illustrate the state of your emotions

Oh Spot, the complex levels of behavior you display
Connote a fairly well developed cognitive array

And though you are not sentient, Spot, and do not comprehend,
I none the less consider you a true and valued friend.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Camera Critters #4 - Buzzard

Treasure