Weekly Six 18th - 24th June 2007

Item: 1 BWO – Blogging Without Obligation

I came across this item via Mac’s Niece at Caged Minutes. The principle has been described wonderfully by the author of the original item and architect of the concept so I will leave further explanations to Tiffini Elektra X, and my thanks to Mac’s Niece for a wonderful find.

'After coming across what seemed to be the 4000th or so post on someone's blog starting with "I'm sorry I haven't posted in awhile." I decided it is time to rethink what makes a good blog and the expectations that have come to be part of it. I am thinking that no one shouldutter those words again . . .and with that thought I give you Blogging Without Obligation.

If you feel the same way feel free to grab the logo, make a logo or whatever you would like to do! I release all the logos, thoughts and words mentioned here about this concept into the public domain. Take the idea and run with it. . .or walk away. It is all good.

Because you shouldn't have to look at your blog like it is a treadmill.

Because its okay to just say what you have to say. If that makes for a long post, fine.
Short post, fine. Frequent post, fine. Infrequent post, fine.

Because its okay to not always be enthralled with the sound of your own typing.
Because sometimes less is more.

Because only blogging when you feel truly inspired keeps up the integrity of your blog.

Because they are probably not going to inscribe your stat, link and comment numbers on your tombstone.

Because for most of us blogging is just a hobby. A way to express yourself and connect with others. You should not have to apologize for lapses in posts. Just take a step back and enjoy life, not everything you do has to be "bloggable".

Because if you blog without obligation you will naturally keep your blog around longer, because it won't be a chore. Plus, just think you will be doing your part to eradicate post pollution. One post at a time…’


I am ever grateful to Mac’s Niece and Elektra X. Mac’s Niece has made some wonderful posts recently which reminded me why I created a blog in the first place….for me! And Elektra X reinforced the concept. The html codes for logos Elektra X mentions above can be copied with her kind permission from the following link: BWO html.

Even if you are not interested in the BWO concept take a moment to view Tiffini Elektra X’s blog and shop, they are really worth a visit!

Item 2: Songs on Repeat

I mentioned in a recent post that I almost always have a song playing in my head, a sort of soundtrack to thought. I say almost always as it may be constant but I don’t always notice! Anyway, sometimes, particularly with persistent songs, there is a lyric on repeat which relates to something that’s going on in my life or an issue that is plaguing me.

This is true of the current song set on repeat in my head. It’s been in there for a few days now. The lyric on repeat is ‘who knows where the time goes’.

It also happen to be a very beautiful song and so I am sharing the lyrics and, if I can find it, a sample.

Who Knows Where the Time Goes – Fairport Convention (Alexandra Elene Maclean Denny/ AKA Sandy Denny)

Across the evening sky, all the birds are leaving
But how can they know it's time for them to go?
Before the winter fire, I will still be dreaming
I have no thought of time
For who knows where the time goes?
Who knows where the time goes?

Sad, deserted shore, your fickle friends are leaving
Ah, but then you know it's time for them to go
But I will still be here, I have no thought of leaving
I do not count the time
For who knows where the time goes?
Who knows where the time goes?

And I am not alone while my love is near me
I know it will be so until it's time to go
So come the storms of winter and then the birds in spring again
I have no fear of time
For who knows how my love grows?
And who knows where the time goes?

And all thanks to the wonderful You Tube you can listen and watch the song! Follow me!

Item 3: A Change in Blogging

A couple of weeks ago I started thinking about why I blogged, what made a good blog (oddly timed considering item 1!) and whether I should keep it up, a thought that I expect is not uncommon among bloggers.

I created In The Pink after seeing Mac’s Niece’s blog Caged Minutes. I had not heard of blogs before that (Sometimes I lead a sheltered life!) and thought I would like to give it a go.

Mac’s Niece helped me to set it up. I had reservations (actually a mild understatement) about revealing anything about myself but thought a place where I could post my poems would be an incentive to write more, and why the hell not put them out there for people to read and hopefully get some pleasure out of rather than them existing solely on paper in my house, never being read once created.

I think all forms of art have a life of their own once conceived and it is your responsibility to allow them to exist. Also, a friend once said to me if you have a talent and you do not pursue it and make the most of your ability it is almost an insult to the gift you have. That comment has stayed with me. (Thanks T-Bone.)

So, In The Pink was born.

I soon discovered that my lust for blogging could not be satiated by my verse alone, I am just not that prolific, and I stumbled across the joy of photography. Since then this blog has evolved into a summary of thought, inspiration, images of beauty (well to me anyway!) and occasionally when inspired an outlet for my poems.

Following further inspiration from Mac’s Niece and Tiffini Elektra X’s ‘Blogging Without Obligation’ post I feel I have been given the final push towards making In The Pink exactly what I want it to be.

I already have about a months worth of posts planned, and if I could, would spend all of today creating them but instead I look forward to posting my new ideas and thoughts over the months to come.

Item 4: Product of the Week – ECOVER

For a number of years now I have been trying to eradicate all un natural chemicals from my daily life. I have never worn make up (I identified an allergy to most cosmetics as a small child while dressing up as clowns with my sister and a friend). Now, I know that most cosmetics are hypoallergenic these days and thanks to outlets such as the The Body Shop and Lush there is a variety of natural cosmetics available that also do not involve vivisection, however at this stage I frankly wouldn’t know where to start with makeup and I’m not going to bother, it’s an extra expense and would require getting up earlier in the morning to effect application!

I have also tried to replace all household cleaning goods and toiletries with non animal tested, environmentally friendly products. You can pretty much replace everything however effectiveness is some cases is still an issue. I do however believe that there is an alternative product out there that ticks all of my boxes and will happily share any of my findings with anyone who is interested.

In the meantime I would like to promote ECOVER:

‘Ecover is an international company active in the production of ecological detergents and cleansing agents.’

I have used ECOVER washing up liquid and cleaning products for a number of years now and am delighted to announce that they do tick all of my boxes.

You can buy their products in a number of supermarkets, health stores or order online. They provide a refill service and I have to say I find most of their products very effective.

I would recommend that you shop around a little before making a purchase, or simply order online. It has been noticed that certain supermarkets have inflated the price of ECOVER while promoting their own in house versions of environmentally friendly products and I cannot advise you at this time if these alternatives are animal friendly or carry the Vegan Society label.

However, ECOVER does! There used to be a product a few years ago called Down to Earth. I can’t find anything about them now but years ago I used to buy there washing powder from my local supermarket. It was a little costly but worth it I felt however, I imagine that due to poor product support they disappeared from our shelves. I don’t imagine that this fate will become ECOVER but if this is an issue close to your heart and you are not already using this or similar products why not give them a go, or at least check out the ECOVER website. Follow me!

Item 5: Poem of the Week

One of my favourite weekly slots I have found! This item gives me an excuse to share some poems I love and is an incentive to discover more poetry.

My Father used to recite this poem to my sister and me as children and it brings back wonderful memories.

Piddling Pete, Possibly by A Merritt although I cannot be sure. There are also many versions of this verse available on the net. (Dad I hope this is the one you remember but please feel free to correct a line or two if needed!)

A farmer's dog came into town,
His christian name was Pete.
A noble pedigree he had,
To see him was a treat.
And as he trotted down the street
'Twas beautiful to see
His work on every corner,
His work on every tree.

He watered every gateway, too,
And never missed a post,
For piddling was his specialty
And piddling was his boast.
The city curs looked on, amazed,
With deep and jealous rage
To see a simple country dog
The piddler of the age!

Then all the dogs from everywhere
Were summoned with a yell
To sniff the country stranger o'er
And judge him by the smell.
Some thought that he a king might be,
Beneath his tail, a rose.
So every dog drew near to him
And sniffed him by the nose.

They smelled him over one by one,
They smelled him two by two;
But noble Pete, in high disdain,
Stood still till they were through.
Then, just to show the whole shebang
He didn't give a damn
He trotted in a grocer's shop
And piddled on a ham.

He piddled in a mackerel keg.
He piddled on the floor,
And when the grocer kicked him out
He piddled through the door.
Behind him all the city dogs
Lined up with instinct true
To start a piddling carnival
And see the stranger through.

They showed him every piddling post
They had in all the town,
And started in, with many a wink,
To pee the stranger down.
They sent for champion piddlers
Who were always on the go
And who sometimes gave a piddling stunt
Or gave a piddling show.

They sprung these on him suddenly
When midway through the town.
Pete only smiled, and piddled off
The ablest, white or brown.
For he was with them, every trick,
With vigour and with vim.
A thousand piddles, more or less,
Were all the same to him.

So he was wetting merrily
With hind leg kicking high
When most were hoisting legs in bluff
And piddling mighty dry.
On and on, Pete sought new grounds
By piles of scrap and rust
Till every city dog ran dry
And only piddled dust.

Still on and on went noble Pete
As wet as any rill
When all the champion city dogs
Had come to a standstill.
Then Pete did free-hand piddling
With fancy flirts and flips
Like the 'double dip' and the 'gimlet twist'
And all the latest hits.

And all the time the country dog
Did never wink or grin
But blithely piddled out of town
As he had piddled in.
The city dogs a convention held
To ask, "What did defeat us?"
But no one ever put them wise
That Pete had diabetes!

Item 6: ‘Days Gone Past’

Still with me? I seem to have a lot to say today! Ok, the final item for this week is days gone past. My fella and I recently purchased a picture postcard book of our village. The book was put together by our local history society and most of the pictures featured were taken before the first world war.

All of the pictures included are beautiful however there is one picture that I found particular joy in.

We have often been told that there used to be an oak tree opposite our house whose crown touched our roof. It was known as the ‘straight oak’ and was a common meeting place for friends within the village for many years. The picture below shows the oak photographed between the two world wars. (The furthest house on the left hand side of the picture is ours.)

Unfortunately the tree was felled in 1992 although the depression in the grass verge can still be seen as the root plate slowly degrades within the soil. I hope you enjoy the picture. I am thrilled to have finally seen an image of it and am sorry that the local authority didn’t take the opportunity to replace it at the time of felling. I intend to write to them and ask that they replace the tree.

Well that wraps up the weekly six. As always please feel free to comment on any aspect of any post.

Comments

  1. I love the old picture of your street - and how great that your house is in it too. Old pictures are a gateway into the best kind of daydreams, I feel.

    It sounds as though you have been doing some soul searching with respect to your blog. I love your weekly 6 posts, so hope these will continue in the new non-obligated blog.

    BWO is a great concept isn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! It's a top picture isn't it! Although I know that the oak trees' presence would have had a dramatic effect on the sunlight in our house from 2pm onwards I would still have it back if I could. And I am going to write to have it replaced although I doubt they would say yes.

    Getting trees planted by a local authority or as a local authority can be a nightmare.

    I have been thinking about how honest to be on my blog and also did the old 'am I just ranting to people about rubbish?' but I do expect that is common.

    So, I am going to stop worrying about how long it's been since I posted and write what I feel.

    I will continue with the W. Six but it may become the fortnightly six...or the monthly six. I love doing it but it takes about 4 hours from start to finish and it's hard to find that large a block of time together.

    The one before last I did when I woke up at 6am on a Sunday. I went downstairs, made tea and set to it, it was brilliant!

    Thanks again for BWO, and Caged Minutes. xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment!

Popular posts from this blog

Camera Critters #4 - Buzzard

Treasure