Weekly Six 4th - 10th June 2007 Part 1

Greetings. Regular visitors to In The Pink will notice that once again the weekly six has been absent for some time. I have to say that although it is a posting I greatly enjoy I often find myself short of the time required to complete it. So my apologies for the delay; here for now is Part 1 of this weeks six items!

Item 1: Artist of the Week M.C.Escher

Maurits Cornelis Escher, usually referred to as M.C. Escher, was born in the Netherlands in 1898. Nicknamed Mauk in his early life, he attended the Haarlem School of Architecture and Decorative Arts and studied under Samuel Jessurun de Mesquita, who he remained friends with for many years.

Escher had a unique approach to art, able to produce detailed compositions from memory and utilising his excellent mathematical skill to generate 'impossible' pictures such as, Relativity (1953 Lithograph).

Many of my family members have been charmed by Eschers' unique ability and Mac's Niece has a lovely piece framed in her stair well, and bathed in sunlight! (Sorry, that was a private note for Mac's Niece however is you hassle her she may photograph it and post it!) Frivolity aside if you are not familiar with this artist please take some time to explore his works via the gallery. It is impossible for me to pick a favorite amongst his work however I particularly admire this piece, Puddle (1952), enjoy. (M.C.Escher 17th June 1898 - 27th March 1972)
(Image Credit: Wikipedia & The Official M.C. Escher Website Gallery)

Item 2: Food of the Week Ginger, Zingiber officinale Rosc.

I cooked with fresh ginger for the first time ever last night inspired by several family recipes! I have often used dried ginger as I love the flavour and have had crystallised ginger in the past but finally decided to give the real thing a go! Results - 10/10!

I am a vegetarian and all of my family make great efforts to ensure that I have wonderful meals to try at any of our get togethers, whether they are significant or not. No doubt that ginger features in many of the recipes and I would like to take this opportunity to thank them for using ginger (I may never cook without it again!) and especially for taking the time and effort to provide me with beautiful dishes that have inspired me to push my own cooking boundaries as a vegetarian.

Anyway, grab some next time you are shopping, chop it up (peeled first) and add it for flavour. I would be really interested to hear what anyone thinks if they are trying it for the first time and would also love to hear any ginger inclusive recipes!

Comments

  1. Anonymous5:32 pm

    If you have any left dancin'fool you can plant it it makes an interesting plant.
    Other recipes chop it small add to boiling water and sip, a lovely drink.
    You could always make ginger beer, if you want the recipe let me know be warned though it packs a punch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I will try the drink now and yes please to the ginger beer recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment!

Popular posts from this blog

Camera Critters #4 - Buzzard

Treasure