Baggage

I have wanted a bureau for some time now, which is a little odd for me as I don't actually want any furniture and belongings, nice as they are kind of get me down...too much baggage and all that. However I do live in a house and I do have belongings.

I would love to be the kind of person who threw everything away and had nothing to worry about accept my toothbrush, camera, wallet and passport, but I am not, I am actually part horder!

Sometime ago now we bought a small unit for me to have my stuff in in the living room so I could stop worrying about where I had put it or whether Mr Dancin had moved it. You know the usual couples complaints of 'you moved it' vs 'no you put it somewhere else'. Sometimes Mr Dancin is right and sometimes I am right.

Anyway, my cupboard is great, trouble is it is not big enough!

I love old style bureaus and have a lovely image of me sitting at one, composing letters and filing away my prized important documents and nick nacks in all of it's neat little compartents, helping me feel more organised!

Perhaps even one with a secret draw that I would no doubt find something to put in that future generations may find and marvel over!

I also think that somehow being organised helps life feel a little less hectic. There may be little order and stability in life but I will a least be in control of somethings.

I wonder if primative civilisations had the same urge and carved intricate shelves for themselves in their caves and other dwellings to stash away important objects and sentimental treasures? Although I expect they had significantly less stuff to stash than I do!

Actually that's something else to add to my list of limited possessions, my toothbrush, my camera, my wallett, my passport and my laptop with mobile storage device!

Comments

  1. Anonymous4:07 pm

    haha you do make me laugh Dancin, I have a picture in my mind of you living a possession free existence, except for the things you really need. So that will be your laptop toothbrush hifi SRV strat and lovely acoustic and then of course your amp to play it through, your fab new desk with secret drawers, all your cd's as you couldn't possibly get rid of them, your camera with accessories......haha walking down the road with all that lot bits falling off all over the place!!
    bandy legs from the weight of it all......bless you Dancin.
    By the way are you both around next Tuesday or Friday? thought I would drive up for a visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know it all sounds good in theory but you are right!!

    Next Friday is good, I'll give you a call later to chat about it. Can't wait to see you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If the world keeps spinning for a while longer, you will be able to have all that storage in miniature, disc size.Think of Dominic Hyde and the flip side.
    Think of it a small hand held gadget which functions as everything.
    Now that's control.
    There is comfort though in opening a draw to find what you seek.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Bowledover, ah for a simple life eh? Although, reading my current book on history, life may have been simpler before but not necessarily any easier!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment!

Popular posts from this blog

Camera Critters #4 - Buzzard

Treasure