The Day Begins

Well my weekend has started really well! Roxy made her entrance to our room at 7.00am which is quite a respectable time for her, it varies between 5.45am and 8.30am!

The sound of the door opening is enough to wake me which gives me about 4 seconds to prepare myself for a lick across the face!

Hiding doesn't help as her nose will seek you out!

Buddy brings up the rear but is not a face licker, although he did lick the very tip of my nose for the first time the other day. My first dog Pink used to do that and I always thought it was a very sweet and delicate gesture.

Roxy likes the full on swipe of the tongue!

Buddy and Roxy used to live with a family with small children. I can imagine and have surmised given Roxy's love of being cuddled that she was cuddled a lot by the kids.

We noticed when we got them though that in contrast to Roxy's love of a big hug Buddy did not like to be cuddled.

I don't know whether the children tried to treat him in the same way and put him off. As such we have been very careful with him so as not to make him feel smothered and have let him dictate how he is fussed and when he is fussed.

Roxy you can walk up to anytime and she is delighted to be smothered but Buddy lets you know when he wants a fuss.

I think he has really appreciated the space we have given him and as a result has become in his own way and own time much more cuddly.

He does get on the couch with us sometimes which given his size is no mean feat and now likes a small hug from me as long as I don't cover up his face.

I was as a child, and to a small extent still am, claustrophobic and so can sympathise with his aversion to having his site line and breathing obstructed.

Anyway, the point of this ramble was that I took his delicate lick of the tip of my nose as quite a step in him being himself and not feeling smothered.

Animals are so very amazing. Just as with people relationships with animals constantly grow and change and the rewards increase.

I try very hard to make sure that the dogs get everything they could want or need and have the happiest life I can possibly provide.

So, after the 7.00am alarm call I got up and took them out to this lovely walk we go to occasionally outside of the village.

Its nice to have different and new walks and they really like it out here. There is lots of space to run.

I took my camera to get a few shots for me and for my tree blog and wondered round for an hour or so with a cup of tea in my travel mug.

I really noticed this morning how many colours are out there in the landscape.

On return from our week in Bodmin the first thing that hit us was that all of the rape seed was in flower, dominating the local landscape with its yellow glow. But there is also all of the new growth on trees, shrubs and crops which have a more subtle hue of their own.

Comments

  1. Oh, just bless you, Dancin'! I love reading your posts and I agree that the little lick went a long way to his acceptance and thankfulness for being allowed to be his own dog ;oD
    Your photos look lovely. I look fwd to my Saturday also.
    On a similar note, our Tuffy cat doesn't rub his "scent" on us like so many cats do, but he rubs all over our home (maybe he's a materialist! ;oD) But we were taking a small walk yesterday and he spotted us and came walking towards me. I stopped and waited and ... "r-u-b" he went on my leg, one little tiny rub against me and I just melted with the knowledge that he was claiming me as his own. Shows me how long it can take sometimes when there has been some damage in these babies' lives ... including people, who don't always warm up to others for a very long time. Tuffy was a stray and he has a fierce need to maintain his independence. I picked him up last night and briefly held him in my arms like a baby, on his back. I could feel him tense up so I gently put him down. I will never force him to let me hold him in a way he feels uncomfortable with. Anyway ... thanks for your lovely post and I wish you a beautiful weekend! Always appreciate you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would think that the pups think they are in heaven.
    Living with such considerate owners, who put their pups needs before the owners.
    If reincarnation exists. I hope that I find such wonderful people to be around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Bud! Thanks for your lovely comment. Give Tuffy boy a huge kiss from me...or something equivalent that won't bother him. In fact if you like you can just tell him that this blogging woman you know in the UK says to tell him he is beautiful and sends hugs. I really do believe they understand everything you say so he will understand!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Bowledover! You know they are worth it and give so much more back.

    I heard a lovely quote about dogs once that went something along the lines of 'I wish I was as good a person as my dogs thinks I am'. They are so very loving and trusting and their love is unconditional.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment!

Popular posts from this blog

Camera Critters #4 - Buzzard

Treasure