Summer Breeze

It has turned wonderfully hot here over the past few days. Our central heating is turned off and I have spent the days and evenings in shorts and t-shirts and not chilled down at all.

A little unusual for me as I finish most evenings sitting with a fleece blanket over my knee!

Anyway as lovely as it has been it is a little hot for the dogs. Once we get to these temperatures they cannot come out to work for the day as the air is so hot that even in the shade with a breeze they over heat. I have switched day time walks to the river side so they can have a swim and walks have become a little shorter or not involved so much play.

I know all dogs suffer in the heat but these too get poorly and are sick if they over heat.

Anyway the reduced running has begun to show in Buddy. He never behaves badly but you can see on walks his pent up energy and he becomes more boisterous with Roxy who, at a year older, is not really up to being bowledover!

This evening a cooler breeze has picked up and it has clouded over a little so I have made the most of the temperature reduction and taken them for a run on a walk out of the village. In fact we all had a run. I think it's done the trick! They are already asleep but settled and not too warm.

Image Credit: Wikipedia

Comments

  1. I know what you mean, I am not someone who can sit out in the sun these days. I cannot imagine how awful it must be for cats who cannot even cool off in the water...well at least not by choice and I don't think Mabel would speak to you again if you have her a bath to cool off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been 87 deg F here, that after us having freeze warnings a week or two ago!!?! Tuffy has been outside all day and I just saw him under the neighbor's big pine trees napping (sounds like a great idea for me, too!) As for cooling them off, sometimes I will take a cool damp washcloth and just smooth it over the fur where it will be cooling ... or there are a couple great grooming tools called "shedding blades" or the "Furminator" which will get a lot of loose undercoat out. It ain't easy being feline ;oD (I was born Yr of the Cat)
    And, Imi, yes there is a band called Godsmack ... don't even know if they're still playing together, but they are quite heavy rock. Some of their stuff is good. And I don't like ALL of Imi Heap's stuff but am hooked on about 6 songs between the 2 CDs. Hope you can hear some of them.
    Keep cool, DFool! ;oD
    P.S. Hi Lady Banana...from SisSTAR

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:20 am

    I miss our dog. I miss walking with Autumn but if I had a new dog my condition is such now that I could not walk with the new dog. I liked it that you watch the heat and how it can make the dogs ill. Some folks think animals are just animals and can take care of themselves. They can on their own but being parented by humans screws up their lifestyle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dancin'I feel for the pups. Cooler weather expected at the weekend, so a let up for them.
    A good tip is to have a fan running with a bowl of ice cubes in front of it.It cools the air wonderfully, they will enjoy being near by.
    I would have mentioned the other tip, which is to leave the fridge door open, but it may well mean you find an empty fridge too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Kyle! That's a really good idea for keeping Tuffy cooler. The Furminator, that's so funny! I can imagine the advert!

    I was born in the year of the rat! Mind I do like rats!

    I will check out Godsmack and Imo Heap.

    Happy Tuesday Bud! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Abe, I agree with you about dogs. Some owners just don't get their animals or really consider their needs.

    I understand what you are saying about a dog and it is very responsible of you. Would you consider an older rescue dog that perhaps would be content with a garden and wasn't up for much walking himself? Or a cat maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Bowledover! Thanks for the tip, both good ideas although you are right about the fridge and given their height they can reach everything!

    It is so much cooler today and they are settled. We are still off for a lunch time swim though! Being a water baby myself I just cannot deny them it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment!

Popular posts from this blog

Camera Critters #4 - Buzzard

Treasure