Be Careful What You Wish For

Ah many a true word spoken in jest! My Dad said this to me in jest the other day following the first snowfall of the week. As it turns out we really did not get a lot here unlike at my parents place and some other parts of the country who reported snow falls of 8-9 inches, which for the UK these days is significant...although while watching an episode of The World at War the other weekend I did see footage of 6 foot snow drifts and noticed that despite this the the trains were still running!

Anyway I digress. In our meager snow I managed a day out in my truck, thanking my 4 wheel drive and enjoying the opportunity to be a child again.

Today is a different story!

I found out yesterday that more snow was forecast for today and have woken up this morning to 5 inches and rising! The difference today is I have booked leave from work and paid for a course on managing veteran trees to be held in Windsor Park by some of the leading arboriculturalists in our industry!

I was due to pick up a colleague and drive down this morning however we have spoken and decided that 4 wheel drive or not we had better stay put. I expect it is likely no one will be able to make it and can only hope they will reschedule the course.

I have just been out with my dogs, who incidentally are thrilled by what they wished for...more snow to play in and lots of walks in it, and there are cars and trucks (lorries) stuck at every exit of the village, wheels spinning.

So here I sit, tea in hand, re-planning my day and wishing I was on the road to Windsor! Honestly how do the Canadians manage? That was one of my self arguments at 5am this morning. If they can do it in their trucks then I should be able to!

I am still not sure if I should have risked it...if it had just been newly fallen snow and my colleague had agreed I probably would have gone however many of our roads had ice frozen on them yesterday before the snow fall......Ok now I am just trying to make myself feel better!

Anyway I will stay put until the gritters have been out and then venture into the office. The journey there should be straight forward and I can cancel my leave and catch up on some of the things I have to do this week. I might just pop out with my camera for a bit first though and get some shots, it really is lovely out there!

I hope you all get the opportunity to enjoy the snow and stay safe.

Image Credit: Global Greenhouse Warming

Comments

  1. Well, we Canadians manage to do it because we have lots of practice. But even I have had enough snow for one (or maybe 10) winters this year...enough is enough! Love your photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Elaine! I LOVE winter and snow (not so much ice) but I am really tired of being so cold and, not having a pair of snowshoes, not even being able to walk around our yard! And it takes lots of real practice to maneuver in heavy snowfall driving ... so don't feel bad about being cautious! We have what's called "black ice" that doesn't seem to be anything on the road but it's truly "killer"!
    (are you getting tired of me commenting so much?kh)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello,
    Did you take that photo? It is stunningly awesome!
    I live 45 Min. to the Canadian border, I am in NW Montana. How we get around is that the roads are taken care of. They get plowed right away and sanded for traction. We plow our own roads too. Some places just are not prepared for snow because it is rare and the equipment is pricey. So that is how we can get around. Plus plenty of folks get stuck too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Elaine! Thanks for the comment! The picture is not mine but it is wonderful isn't it? Wishing you an early spring and a long summer!

    Hey Kyle! I will never get tired of you commenting! We also get black ice and every night as the roads freeze its getting worse here. I am very glad of my truck!

    Hello Tammie Lee! Not my picture I am afraid although I wish it was. I guess if we got the snow here regularly too it would be different. As it is we have no snow ploughs and we are running out of grit!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment!

Popular posts from this blog

Camera Critters #4 - Buzzard

Treasure