Creatures of the Night

I am reading a great book at the moment which my nephew bought me for Christmas. He always gets me excellent presents, often dog orientated, however this time I think he took some good advice from my sister with regard to my other tastes and got me Twilight by Stephenie Meyer.

The book is about vampires. It is out in film version at the moment and I am avoiding any contact with the film, it's cast and obviously the story line given that I am still only half way through!

I do not want to give anything away to anyone who has not seen or read it and is planning to but I just wanted to record my impressions so far as I think everything is about to turn upside down in the story, its got that edge of chaos feel to the chapter I am reading!

I, like many others I assume and hope, have a small obsession with vampires. Don't get me wrong I do not want to be one, or meet one for that matter, but I love stories about them, am an avid fan of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and dream about them with some regularity.

I saw Salem's Lot as a child and remember being terrified but very intrigued. I suspect my next vampire encounter was George Hamilton in Love at First Bite, which is still one of my favourite films.

I adore Bram Stoker's Dracula with Gary Oldman and loved the romance of the story between Prince Vlad and Elisabeta, reincarnated as Mina. I think I am a sucker for the Romeo and Juliet story line (although I have not read that play all the way through) as there is something of the tragedy in most Vampire romances which is so painfully and beautifully poetic. It's the same with Buffy and Angel and to some extent Buffy and Spike although not so tragic in that case.

Ok at this point I am going to assume a certain level of knowledge about Buffy and other Vampire tales here otherwise I expect I would have lost you as a reader by now however, if anyone would like me to explain more about the relationships mentioned I really could wax lyrical all night so please just ask!!

Anyway, the Vampire of note in Twilight is called Edward and he is mesmerizing. I do not know why, I am loathed to see who they have cast to play him in the recent film as I have such a beautiful picture of him in my head as I read which cannot be reproduced by any actor. (Ah the joy of books and our own limitless imagination.) All I know is I am loving the book and speed read to his scenes. Yesterday there was a whole chapter without him in it and it was very frustrating.

It is a little odd, he is young (too young for me) but a suitable age for the story obviously, so it's not that I am putting myself in the place of the leading lady but I love reading about what he is doing, saying and thinking. He is so very smooth!

So as I said I have the feeling that all hell is going to break loose immanently and who knows, I may not like him at all tomorrow but for now Edward is a charming, sophisticated and beautiful Vampire!

Comments

  1. I've been looking forward to reading this trilogy. I too I'm staying away from the movie talk. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh heck I did not know there were three! Well I really hope you enjoy them, pop back and let me know what you think. I am going to pick it up now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love at first bite.Haven't seen tah for years. Salem's lot scared the crap out of me and I still think the flying kid is freaky.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous6:46 pm

    Oh dear- you romanticists. Have you not read the TRUE story, as recorded by Bram Stoker? Blood, guts and tragedy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Carletta, well turns out its a quadrology but I really do recommend it!

    Bobooshka, someone else outside of my family who has seen Love at First Bite!!!! Yeah Salem's Lot, I was definitely too young for that one!

    Hey Lord L, well I was hoping that the film based on Bram Stokers book was true to form but that's Hollywood for you! I should read the book and let you know what I think. At least I will have the rather attractive Gary Oldman in my head when I am reading the bits with Dracula in!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment!

Popular posts from this blog

Camera Critters #4 - Buzzard

Treasure